Industrial Engineering is the profession concerned with solving integrated engineering and management problems. The definition by the Institute of Industrial Engineers is as follows: “Industrial Engineering is concerned with the design, installation, and improvement of integrated systems of people, material, information, equipment, and energy by drawing upon specialized knowledge and skills in the mathematical, physical, and social sciences, together with the principles and methods of engineering analysis and design to specify, predict, and evaluate the results to be obtained from such systems.” Key objectives of industrial engineering are to improve the quality and productivity of creating and delivering goods and services and to act as the interface between technology and humans. Engineering methods and practical knowledge are used in formulating decision models for the optimum application of engineering and management principles. Industrial engineers are systems thinkers who consider the impact of any improvements or design changes on people, community, economics, and the environment.
Department flowcharts provide an academic plan for graduating in four years. The flowcharts serve as a guide for planning purposes. If students have specific questions about taking classes not in line with the flowchart, they should talk to their faculty or academic advisor for clarification because some departments offer more flexibility than others.
Download the flow chart here.
Curriculum sheets provide an outline of all the requirements needed to complete a degree.
Download the curriculum sheet here.
US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT ranks the Cal Poly MfgE program as one of the absolute best in the country - US News & World Report ranks Cal Poly in 3 of the last 5 years as the top undergraduate program not offering a Ph.D program (as of 2012.)
Why? Because the IE program......
- graduates engineers ready to WORK ANYWHERE. With a BS in Industrial Engineering you can work in a variety of industries. Some students work in manufacturing while some enjoy jobs in consulting or entertainment.
- offers opportunities to work with a divierse group of people. IE’s usually enjoy WORKING WITH PEOPLE. Students often works on teams that perpare them for interactions with a individuals in upper management and on the shop floor.
- is a BUSINESS ORIENTED ENGINEERING. While IE’s know much about engineering, math, and science; they often focus on the business side of problem solving.
- allows for an outstanding level of inteaction with TALENTED FACULTY. Class sizes are small; Cal Poly’s student faculty ratio is 19 to 1. All classes are taught by faculty. The IME department does not use graduate students or teaching assistants to teach courses.
- creates a steady DEMAND FOR GRADUATES in Industrial Engineering. If a student wants a job right out of college, they often have multiple job offers. The median salary of IE graduates in 2007-2008 was $65,000.