The IME Department offers the blended BS+MS degree program (BMS) leading to the MS IE or MS ENGR ITM degree. The BMS program is only open to continuing Cal Poly students.
The objective of the blended BS+MS degree program (BMS) is to provide an accelerated route for excellent undergraduate engineering students at Cal Poly to obtain both bachelor's and master's (BS and MS) degrees simultaneously. The minimum units requirement for blended BS+MS is 225 total (BS 180 + MS 45). BMS students can pursue either
- MS in Industrial Engineering (MS IE) or
- MS in Engineering with a specialization in Integrated Technology Management (MS ITM).
The BMS program is applicable only to Cal Poly continuing students. The BMS program allows the double counting of some undergraduate courses towards the masters' requirements. The number of double counted units in the BMS program shall be those in excess of the 180 units in the BS program but not to exceed 9 units.
All BMS students should complete their senior projects to satisfy their BS requirements before transition to graduate status. Students cannot double count senior project units.
- Students in any engineering major are eligible to apply for the Industrial Engineering BMS program.
- Students must have a minimum Cal Poly grade point average (GPA) of 3.3/4.0.
- Students should apply with less than three (3) quarters to graduate for a bachelors' degree. Note that applications must be approved before the student has completed 180 units toward their undergraduate curriculum requirement. If students reach 180 units for undergraduate requirement, they are not eligible for the BMS program.
- All lower-division work (including lower-division general education courses and American Institutions courses) shall be completed prior to changing to graduate degree objective status (CSU AA-2012-01).
- Prior completion of the GWR is strongly encouraged but not required.
A prospective student that meets the eligibility requirements above should submit the following application documents to the IME Department Office (192-223) Attn: Graduate Coordinator.
- Cover letter. If you are applying to the MSIE program, you shall talk to faculty members in the IME department and seek a thesis advisor based on his/her research interests.
- Cal Poly BMS Application
- IME BMS Program Application.
- Post Baccalaureate Change of Objective form (PBCO)
- One page resume: list in reverse chronological order education, employment, extracurricular/community activities, publications if any, and membership.
- One page of statement of purpose: provide a summary of your career objectives and work experience with reference to the chosen field of graduate study in one page.
- The names and contact information of three referees.
CSU Mentor $55 application fee is waived and no GRE exam is required for the BMS program.
Deadlines for admission: Full applications must be submitted to the graduate coordinator by March 1st for Fall quarter admittance, September 1st for Winter quarter, and December 1st for Spring quarter.
A faculty panel will interview all applicants and makes acceptance/rejection decisions.
If accepted, students' status will be officially changed from undergraduate to graduate during the quarter they complete 180 units towards their bachelor's degree.