The Master of Science in Industrial Engineering (MS IE) program is designed to prepare students for a successful career in industry as well as a further study in a Ph.D. program, building on its strength in learn-by-doing and project-based engineering education and focusing on applied research. Students will sharpen both technical skills and non-technical skills required for success in their careers.
Key learning outcomes for the MS IE program:
- Design and improve manufacturing and business operations;
- Design experiments, analyze data, and solve real-world problems independently;
- Communicate effectively and practice strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
Students typically work closely with industry to solve real-world problems. A large fraction of our recent graduates have landed positions in high-tech, manufacturing, services, and consulting companies to design and improve business operations.
MS-IE check out Cal Poly's Catalog
The MS IE program requires a minimum 45 quarter credits of course work in 400 or 500 level courses, including nine quarter units of thesis/project. The MS IE program requires a thesis and your thesis topic must be approved by your graduate committee consisting of three committee members. Both an oral defense and a written thesis are required. The thesis will be reviewed by the Graduate Education Office and published at the Digital Commons. Students considering eventual admission to a PhD program are strongly advised to select the MS IE program.
- Applicants should have completed a four-year college course of study and hold a bachelor's degree in any engineering or related discipline, the mathematical, physical, or computer science disciplines from an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association.
- Students must have a minimum undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 (based on 4.00 scale). Exceptions will be considered if the applicant is in the top 25% of his/her graduating class.
- The GRE (Graduate Record Examination).
- The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required for all applicants whose native language is not English. If the applicant received a degree in the United States, this test is waived. TOEFL test scores are valid for two years from the date the test was taken. Please refer to Cal Poly admission website for English language proficiency requirements.